01 June 2013

New Kickz

Sup y'all?

I've decided to lessen the amount of video posts I do, I skyped with papa bear today, and he said he liked my text posts better, and I tend to agree.  I just feel that I can better express myself with written words instead of a rehearsed video.

My internship has been going well.  I will say, though, it's been a very humbling experience thus far.  Back in the States, I think, oh, I'm so good at French! Aw yeah! But then I try to ask my boss what I think to be a very simple question, and I sound like an idiot.  I keep telling myself over and over that I am NOT stupid, there is just a language barrier.  But, I would say my level of French is increasing.  I'm learning a lot of business vocabulary, which is good.  You take classes in school, but it doesn't stick until you get real life application.

For example, in French, the word "mail" means e-mail.  The would "courrier" means mail in the physical sense that English says.  That was a very confusing moment for me, when someone on the other line of the phone said to send something by "mail" I assumed he meant postal service kind of mail, but it turns out it was e-mail.  Incredible how much a little difference can tweak a concept.

French is good but bad because it has borrowed and given words to the English language.  Sometimes I just say English words with a French accent, and I can get my point across.  But it doesn't work all the time, as I found out.  But this is a good growth experience, right?

My big goal here is to determine whether or not people are: American, French, or Not One of Those Categories.  I look at how people dress, how they talk, the way their mouths move, etc.  I like to think I can tell if someone is speaking French by how their mouth moves.  It's been an interesting study of mine.

SPEAKING OF, I am slowly trying to transform myself to become more "French." For example, I bought me some new kicks today.  These things are baller.  (Photos below :D ) I also bought some black skinny jeans, like legging skinny, because that seems to be a very common type of pant here.  Dark dark wash jeans, black jeans, or bright or solid color jeans.  Like royal blue.  A lot of blazers, red lipstick, panty hose, French shoes (I don't know how to explain them, but you can definitely tell a difference between their shoe style and ours)  If you're wearing tennis shoes and jeans, there is a good chance you're American.  I'm not saying I have a problem with these fashion choices, but they're just indicators.

I have become the self proclaimed queen of cardigans and scarves. Come at me bro. (Thanks, Magdalena.  Now I can't stop saying that.)

Speaking of, Magdalena and I found a baller scarf and accessories store around Notre Dame, and these were the most beautiful scarves I have EVER seen.  And pricey, too.  Some ran for around 80 euros.  I think I might treat myself one day by stopping by and getting a scarf.  Not for 80 euros, but ya know.  Beautiful scarves.  Put all of mine to shame.

So with this whole.. blending in thing, it's a weird concept in my head.  I feel like I'm trying to hide the fact that I'm American, but that's not the case at all.  I came here to absorb the culture, so I think it's fitting I do so, or attempt to do so.  If I came over here and said, America is the best!, why would I have left the country in the first place?

When I first got to Paris, I immediately regretted coming.  I was stupid home sick, I was constantly emailing my parents and Brad, but now that time has passed, I'm obviously feeling much much much better.  I think it's very good to put yourself out of your comfort zone.  The learn about others, and more importantly, to learn about yourself.  Who you are. What is important to you.  Coming to France has made me realize that I'm a grown up.  I know it sounds stupid, but I've definitely learned that I'm a grown adult.  I'm young, yes, but I'm responsible for me.  When making decisions, it's no longer, would my parents be okay with this? It's more of... is this something that good for me? It's a weird transition in life, and I can feel it happening to me.  I like it.

Can we take a moment to talk about French food? I'm not talk about escargots or things like that, but just the produce here. The pop.  The vin.  The beer. All of it.  It's so freaking good.  The bread? Get out of town.  Whatever they sell at HyVee is nothing in comparison to this bread.  It's SO good.  It's so fresh, and just high quality.  It is more expensive, but it's worth it to me.  Fruit stands on every street corner.  Instead of fast good as to-go food, they has sandwich shops.  No fried anything.  And you feel so much better physically when you eat clean.  It's great.  I've been here a week and a half and I've already gone down a belt buckle hole.  I feel and look great.

Thursday I leave for Norway for the weekend, a week after that Brad comes, then we go to London, and then Andrew and Sarah come.  I am so excited for what this summer has in store for me.  I'm very much looking forward to going to Norway, and spending time with family.  I'm excited to explore London with Brad.  And I'm so excited to get Andrew out of the States.  So so happy.

Okay, picture time!

Finding places to go, yo.

Academie de la Biere.  Awesome find.  Brad, we will be going there.

Ahhh yes, Chauncy, Welcome to my paaarty.  Meet my son Nebroleon.

BAM - New Kickz! (and with high amounts of editting)

Here's a more accurate depiction of what they look like.

This is another extreme edit from when we went to Versailles.  I adore color.

Bisous! LEAVE COMMENTS!!!!

1 comment:

  1. because everybody likes to get comments! I am happy for you and jealous that you have been back to france twice already since the very first time we went with the band. Seems like things are picking up for you and you seem much more at ease and happy than you did just a short while ago...this makes me happy! Keep doing what's right for you, Kat. And by the way, I want your shoes.

    ReplyDelete