16 June 2013

Norway - Preikestolen

Salut!

Okay, I know I'm about a week behind, but I'm going to work on my blog right now, even if I'm lacking the want to do so.

Preikestolen is a hiking trail (I think?) that leads to a huge cliff that is 603 m from the fjord below. Want more specific detail? Click here.  It's a 2.5 hour hike to the cliff, and 2.5 hours back.  It's rated medium, and is one of the most popular nature site in Norway.  There is a crack in the cliff, and as Joy told me, it will fall into the fjord when seven brothers marry seven sisters.  The hike there was the first time I had ever hiked anywhere, so I had no expectations of what hiking was.

Hiking is awkward stair climbing.

Alright, not that I have all my photos sorted in order, let's begin our hike, shall we?

Just so you have guys a feel of where I was hiking to, I stole a picture from Google to give y'all an idea.


This is the actual cliff.  This is the main goal of the hike, to get up there and stand on it.  (I don't know why Norwegians have an obsession with standing on things.)  This picture also give the height justice.  It's pretty fair down there, like I said, around 600m.


After a half kilometer steep hike, I wasn't sure this was going to work out for me.  But I saw some older women with lipstick on and nice shoes, and I thought if they can do it, gosh sammit, I could too.  So I took a picture of the map.


Our first real view.  Already breath taking.


Taking our first rest, my cousin Ron standing with me.  Yes, that is a fanny pack. Best. Thing. Ever.


Baby got back.

Look up the mountain.


You know you're close to the end of a trail or at the beginning when there is somewhat of an organized rock structure.


Another view from higher up.


Here is a little sample of the kinds of rocks we were climbing.  It's fun because there is no set trail.  You make your own as you go, which rocks you step on, etc.


Like I said, awkward stair climbig.


We started towards the top of the mountain, and I was fascinated by all the rock piles.  People make them all the time and when driving in the mountains you can see them on the cliffs.  It's a little way to say "I was here."  So, I decided to make my own little pile.  It's the one to the right.  And no, I did not make my own "pile" I made my own pile.


Joy looking victorious with the fjord in the background.


The views were incredible.



So this is before climbing down to the cliff.  This was a.. hmm. I don't know the word for it, but a good preparation for Kjerag the next day.  It's straight down between the two mountain sides.


Pulpit rock is right below me.  I'm just chillin' on a cliff above it.


My view.


Feets.


Almost there!


Finally made it! Yes, I am sitting on the edge of the cliff.  And yes, that is my "Hi Dad!" sign, which I took various places and took various pictures with.  Just letting my paw know I'm thinking about him while doing stupid things :)


Fanny pack on the mountain.


I like taking pictures from this angle to help show the depth.  I look like a maniac taking them, though.


My view from the edge of the cliff.


Another shot.


Other people were doing jump pictures, so I decided why not.  Also, pretty terrifying jumping that close to the edge.  I can here my father sigh with fear right now.


My gracious and lovely hosts :)


Search and Rescue.  Or, my father on his way to take me off the mountain.



They actually took someone off the mountain.


Trail downhill.


More views of the trail.



It was yucky muddy.

There you go.  Preikestolen in picture form.  It was a great way to begin my "hiking career."  After this hike, my ankles were swollen and I wouldn't walk, but something inside of me changed.  There is nothing like being in the mountains, it's quiet, and you have no worries.  I've never had a more clear mind in my life.

I learned a lot about life while climbing.  It's okay to take breaks, you don't have to rush to your destination in one go.  Stop to look around, you get some great views.  If you're constantly staring at the path, you miss what's around you.  And some of those views are pretty incredible.

You don't have to take the same path as the person in front of you. You'll get to the final destination anyway you choose to go there.  And if your path doesn't work, you can always go back and try a different route.  You are never stuck.  Some times the path someone else takes is harder than the one you chose, and sometimes it's easier.  Either way, you got to your destination.  And when you get there, the pay off is something else.

Who knew I'd get all philosophical while hiking?

It was an amazing experience- I recommend everyone do it.  It teaches you to be brave, it really does.  Since we went hiking I've become more adventurous, less cautious.  That's a good thing for me, I am constantly worrying about every detail of my life, so this was a good experience for me to learn how to let go.

Go hiking. Go climb a freaking mountain.  You won't regret it.

(Plus in total that weekend we burned 5,000 calories.)

Next stop: Manafossen.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you had a good time - we really enjoyed having you here and getting to know you better! Be sure to talk it up when you get home...the more company, the merrier!

    ReplyDelete